Friday, October 19, 2007

Creator Profiles: Dr. K!

Andy Kunka, alias the Amazing Dr. K, is a exceptionally talented individual that I was introduced to by Chris Sims at HeroesCon 2007. Though we spoke just briefly at the convention, I was completely sold on Dr. K when I discovered he had had a letter published in a bronze age JLA comic. I *think* it was this one...

Just for the record:

Letter published in a Bronze Age comic = Qualified to be a writer for Flashback Universe

Since that meeting I've have exchanged several emails with Dr. K about the state of the comics industry. His commentary on DC's Countdown and their Showcase reprint initiative have been right on the money. *

When he posts on other peoples blogs, I'm alway enjoy his commentary, and sort of wished he had his own blog, because I figured it would totally rock, as the kids say.

So you can imagine how happy I was when he started doctor-k100.blogspot.com My initial instincts have been rewarded with great reading on a myriad of topics all near and dear to my heart. I'm currently pushing him to do one of his great movie breakdowns for his blog of Planet of the Apes! :)

The Doc's Answers to my Flashback Survey:

What Flashback Universe comic did you work on, or are you currently scheduled to work on?
I'm currently working on a Cyclotron story.

Do you have a link to a blog/portfolio you would like me to include?

doctor-k100.blogspot.com

What comics from the 70's did you like when you were growing up?
Batman, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Justice League of America, Master of Kung Fu, Avengers, Micronauts

What writers/artists do you think you are most influenced by?
Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber, Marv Wolfman, Denny O'Neil, Bill Mantlo, Doug Moench

Current trend in comics you hate now?
Endless crossovers

Current trend in comics you like now?
The incredible diversity of choices available.

Thank you Andy! I look forward to seeing what you can do with Cyclotron!
- JS


*For the record about CountDown and the DC Showcases: I, Jim Shelley, think CountDown is gonna end up being a big disappointment - moneywise - for DC. And I think DC is going to either kill their Showcase reprints or slow them down to a trickle. Ditto their Archives. This, I think, has something to do with some new budget tightening being done by their parent company Time Warner. :(

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails