Monday, October 22, 2007

Creator Profiles: Chad Bowers

Chad Bowers is one of those guys who just seems to be at the center of everything. Right now he's not only working on a Prometheus story (guest starring Amanita) but he's also lettering a Paladin story and Chris Sims' Creature/WildCard story.

At the same time, he is also working with Phil Looney on a project for Zuda and more Danger Ace stories with Jerry Hinds and Chris Nye. On top of all that, he is the coordinator of Comics Club. He's pretty much the axis that the Columbia Comic Scene revolves around at the moment. :D

What's interesting about Chad is that he's like many other comics fans who, while they enjoy comics that are coming out now, he is very passionate about comics from all eras. And not just superhero comics either, but a wide range of independent comics. At comics club, he's pushed hard to expose what is primarily a group of hardcore Marvel/DC guys to read such things as Blankets, Bone, The Filth and My Faith in Frankie. I think when people read his Prometheus story, they'll see how Chad's varied tastes have really brought a nice dimension to the Flashback Universe!

Chad's Answers to my Creator Survey:

What Flashback Universe comic did you work on, or are you currently scheduled to work on?

Well, there're a couple of things, but right now, I'm finishing up a Prometheus story called "Double Date, Double Doom". Also, I recently started helping out with some lettering stuff, and that's been a blast.

Do you have a link to a blog/portfolio you would like me to include?

Yeah, there's http://thatchadblog.wordpress.com/ , (which I haven't been updated in weeks).

What comics from the 70's did you like when you were growing up?

I was born in '79, so any 70s reading that got done was through reprints like Marvel Tales, or from back issues I picked up on the cheap at flea markets. I made sure to always look for issues of Captain America, Defenders, Avengers, Thor, etc... anything by "the Steves" - Ditko, Gerber, Engelhart. Those are the books and writers that really got me fired up as a kid.

But as an "adult", I've managed to pick up every Essential that Marvel's produced... yes, even Essential Godzilla. And I've been devouring those, doing my best to make up for being born a decade too late.

What writers/artists do you think you are most influenced by?

I already mentioned "the Steves".
Obviously, Stan and Jack.

Hmmm, who else? Roy Thomas, (TV's) Gerry Conway, Arnold Drake, Doug Moench, David Anthony Craft, Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Marv Wolfman, Roger Stern, Dan Jurgens, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek. And newer guys, like Dan Slott, Ed Brubaker, Dwayne McDuffie, Matt Fraction, Jeff Parker...

And I'm sure there's someone I'm leaving out.

Current trend in comics you hate now?

Just one? I guess I'd say stories that start and don't have endings already in place. I know it's nothing new, but it's never seemed more obvious to me as a reader.

One more thing: high-profile creators coming on books and, either, taking forever to finish or not finishing at all.

Current trend in comics you like now?

Reprints, reprints, reprints!
And the slow, but long overdue migration away from decompressed storytelling.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails